Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Christianity Causes Pain?

Let me share the a story about my Indian friend named Shibili.
It is a long story to tell about Shibili's Moslem background and how he became interested about Christianity. But as time goes by our friendship has finally brought me to the point of asking him about his religious background. Knowing that he was brought up with the Moslem parents though not so much interested about religion, I have the unusual feeling that the Holy Spirit will use me to lead Him to the feet of Jesus.

Having been trained by a certain organization (SULADS) for the unreach to specialize on the Moslem and worked for 3 years among the Moslem in the Philippines, has served me well in my recent work.

Anyway, all was started with eating lunch together at school and had found many occasions to share what we believe. And almost every time we talked about religion he was amaze how I come to know much about the Quran and the many things we agreed with each other, especially when we talk about food. I said I believe what the Quran says.

Sensing that his interest about Christianity is growing, I started to visit him in his house. In which those visits would usually end up with sharing what we could have for dinner. Sometimes I brought my food to his house and sometimes he would bring his together with his wife until it became more often as close neighbor. Every time I went out to my house to visit him I always say Lord help me to represent You today.

Few days later, at school Shibili had told me about his tight situation that they have nothing left to buy food. His wife is pregnant and needs adequate food. And so I offer my help and said don’t be shy to ask to me if you have any problem and added that as long as I have I will surely help you. I didn’t realize that this little kindness has brought his door wide open for the message to enter and the Holy Spirit to work.

Then I started inviting him to our once a month English cell group fellowship. This Christ-centered fellowship is design for all Christians around the province regardless of his or her denomination, as we are only very few Christians in the entire province. Through this cell-group, Shibili has started to understand about what Christian fellowship is. He said he like the fellowship so much and said he will bring his wife with him next meeting.

MAJOR OCCASSIONS

His religious acquaintances were back up by few major occasions. One was when the Baptist church (the only protestant church here in the entire Phayao Province, Thailand) was desperately looking for anyone who can play the guitar for a house blessing. Having been introduced to them through a Christian cell group gathering last December, Sister Gim requested me to play the guitar for them. Thinking that this may be an opportunity for me to witness, I went. That time I also invited Shibili, who has started to enjoy being part of the Christian fellowship. I felt it would be a good time for him to be exposed more to Christian fellowship and activities.

Providentially, the organizer asked me to sing a special song. I was thinking that it would be a good chance to witness because there were many non-Christians attending the house blessing. So I sang a Thai song "Rao Namasakan" (we worship GOD). They all expected to hear English song from me and they were so surprised to hear a Thai song. After my special song we listened to a short message from the pastor. As I opened my Bible to read the pastor's text, Shibili who was sitting beside me asked me where he could buy a Bible for himself. Having been brought up as a Moslem in India, he confessed that he doesn’t know what Bible is. "Would you like to have one?" I asked him. "Yes," he replied. I said I would give him one as soon as we got back to my place. I promised him that. After the event, the pastor and some members came to me and thanked for saving the situation. I praise God that he has given me the talent to sing to witness for HIM.

Finally, we headed home. Then I wrote some important Bible texts on a page in my Bible for Shibili. I made an outline to help him learn about Jesus as GOD and Savior, the Sabbath, the food we eat, and the Ten Commandments. Then I went to his house and handed it to him. I showed him the guidelines I have made for him and briefed him a bit on how to find the texts.

The Friday came, Shibili asked me what I usually do during weekend. I said, I’m helping the hilltribe church in the mountain in the other province Chiangrai. He didn’t know what missionary is all about. But as I saw that he is excited about joining any Christian fellowship. And so I can’t help inviting him to climb up to our Church in other province in Pangkhon, Chiangrai (about 140 kilometers from my homebase).

And so I’ve got a special weekend with him joining. We used his new bike to climb up to the church. It was almost late in the afternoon when we got there. But the beauty of Pangkhon with its frozenness made him exclaimed “this place is fantastic, I want to come back here.” After setting all our stuffs, I toured him around the village and have met some old friends around. I took him to my Buddhist friend named Jay (Chinese missionary teacher). We had talked about half hour and then invited him to join our evening worship. I told him we will start at 7:30 pm. Jay had promised to come before 7:30 and so it added my excitement but wondering if he can make it, the fact that he has students to take care of in their night classes, but good that he was free that evening. That’s what I learn later.

Then we finally went home for dinner. Then wait for worship time. Finally the time has arrived. Jay came on time. He seemed excited singing again the worship songs I had taught him almost a year ago, and so we started singing. Shibili, who was just new to Christian gathering noticeably had struggled to join the singing. I handed him the song sheet and so he tried to sing. And so to make him part of the meeting, I did sing many English songs. We had sung almost all songs I know from the song sheet.

Then I’d shared simple and Christ centered message that Jesus Christ is coming back to end all sufferings and sin and He will take us with Him in heaven. Our worship went very wonderful. I praise God for the rare opportunity to witness these kinds of people.

AT ENGLISH BIBLE CAMP

Another Friday came, I was scheduled to go to Pangkhon Church in Chiangrai. But on Thursday afternoon, the Baptist church leader again asked me if I could help conduct their English Bible camp. They were in a bind to find a replacement for a Filipina they had expected to handle their English Bible camp. They were disappointed because Bridgette, the Filipina, had to go to Bangkok that same weekend for her visa which the school had required of her and so one of their church members, Sister Gim, suggested my name to the church pastor. So my adventure has started again.

They desperately needed someone to tell English Bible stories and children's songs. I told them I would love to do that! Then the pastor's wife exclaimed, "You must be the right person to handle this English Bible camp!" My previous experiences in the many Bible camps served me well, I thank God for those trainings. To make the program work more smoothly, I asked Shibili, to assist me and be my back-up person. I thought that this may be a good way to help Shibili learn about the truth on how sin began and why Jesus had to come down and die.

I prepared two Bible stories, the story of Adam and Eve (how sin began) and Why Jesus had to die. Then, Shibili and I spent almost the whole Friday to learn the action songs for the kids. I was happy that my Adventist training at home helped me a lot. I told Shibili that I love to do these things because I'm doing these for God.

When finally the camp has started, we did a lot of singing, we had Bible drills, I told Bible stories and had the kids to many other interesting things. The kids told us they were enjoying the camp immensely. When it was time to break camp, we were surprised that the church pastor's wife said she had something to say. She brought with her certificates of appreciation and envelopes. Then she called the names one by one. Everyone clapped. She was so happy of what we did and gave as something to show appreciation for our efforts.

When we got home, Shibili and I opened our envelopes together, we were surprised to see 1,200 baht (about 30$) in them! I didn't expect it since I said I did it because of my love for God. Shibili exclaimed, "God really blesses us when we work for HIM!" Three days ago he borrowed money from me for food. Before we parted, I told him that God will make a way if we only trust Him.

He started to discover that God can help him in tight situations. Before he went inside his house he said, "I will keep on reading the Bible you gave me, and let me know when you plan to climb up to church because I want to go with you again!" But his wife who was almost to deliver their second baby keeps him from going with me.

However, there was one time that before I left for a trip to the hilltribe Church in Chiangrai, he shared to me what he had discovered in his bible reading. He said that Bible can be understood very easily and was wondering why other Christians are not following the Bible. As he can personally observed what I have lived and believed and what others do.

He also started download Bible audio in mp3 file from the internet and said that he loved to listen to it. He was so surprise about the things we agreed. He said his experienced inner peace the time he has started to read the Bible. He wants to know more and complained why I write only few texts for him. I apologized and promise him that I will print a complete Bible study guide for him. He asked me what Bible really is and so I explain that the Bible is the Word of God and our perfect guide so we can live a holy life. When our first parents fall into sin, the intimate relationship between God and man was lost, and so our loving God sent the Bible to us using the prophets so all of us will know HIS plan of salvation to restore us to His original plan.

HIS BITTER TRIALS

Somehow Satan is not happy with his decision and so he tries to find a way to keep him away from God. His trouble has started when the school did not renew his teaching contract for some reasons. The saddest thing was that it happened when his wife was about to deliver their second baby. So what shall we do now? His Buddhist wife started to blame him and had started talking against Christianity. She said they started to have problem the time he started to read the Bible and becoming interested about being a Christian.

His no earning situation has troubled him so much. I called him one day to give him my special classes so he has something to do for a living. But those last only for few weeks and his situation has become tighter.

Until I got a call from him one day, he said he is planning to go to South Korea to find a job. He said they have nothing and just depend to his in-laws so I said please come to my house. I don’t have much here but I have 2,000 baht to help you. But he said thank you, you are a true friend but he refused to accept my offer. Anyway, I said we have been praying for him.

Finally, he left not to South Korea but back to India, leaving his family behind. I called his wife and asked her how I can help her. I assured her that I’m here to help them. Then his wife told me what happened at the immigration when Shibili went back to India. She said Shibili paid the 20,000 baht penalty for overstaying. I didn’t quiet understand the situation since I knew Shibili has worked legally and work permit. But her wife explained that the school did not get the stamp for his passport at the immigration office. But I don’t know how they manage to pay the big penalty.

Last week, June 20, 2008, that was few days after, I got a call from Shibili, asking me if he can borrow 20,000 baht for his wife to go to India with their baby and then he said you can keep my motorbike. Unfortunately, I have only 6,000 baht food money left for my family. And so I said sorry but I can give you 5,000 baht instead, telling him to put the bike to someone else so he can get more money they need.

Two days after his wife called me and I said I understand your situation and please come to our house. And so she came to get the money. We told her that we wish to help them more but that’s all we can. But we said we have been praying for them. I also sent e-mail to Shibili and I said don’t give up. Keep believing God.

Two days after, I was troubled when got reply from him. This is what he wrote;

“Dear Jan(Jhun),
Thank you for giving money to my wife and helping me, I'll give you the money back in few days, you always help me, you my best friend but no one couldn’t help me and I don’t hide any thing from you, I always tell you everything, I would like to tell you something, When I met you first time I didn’t have any problem but I noticed, after I started being a part of the Christian get together and started reading bible, and started believing in Christian and stopped believing Islam. I lost my Job, Sold my bike, my father got heart attack and had to operate, I got some problem in the airport, at the immigration for over stay due to Phayaopittayakom did not send my Passport and got it stamped and I had to pay 20000 baht, the land which had and, I had to keep it and take 70000 baht on Interest. And I had to face many problems and still I’m in problems.

What do you think about it? What I did is wrong?

I’m totally confused.

I have still hope, I’m still reading bible, and waiting for the miracle, will it happen?

You tell me what to do?

Shibili “

After I got this, I shared it to my wife and we both heavily saddened. And I said we really both need special prayers for them. I have trouble responding his e-mail. I feel he is still too young to understand why he has been suffering.

Now he is hoping for God’s deliverance. Sometimes I put the blame to some well-off Christians around here. When I shared Shibili’s story, they would just said “pity on him, we’ll pray for him.” Even though Shibili’s need is so obvious that he is needing not only our prayers but something he can eat to live on. This is where most Christians fail. Not only to Shibili but for all who need help, our unselfishness is seen as God’s miracle.

Now, Shibili asked me what to do. I don’t know how to answer him but I'm sure God can make it happen!

No comments: