Saturday, May 3, 2008

God Can Use a Tourist?

By Brian Wilson

In culturally inappropriate dress, tourists tromp around snapping shots of humble inhabitants. Insensitive, demanding, unappreciative . . . at least they’re also temporary. Tourists are here today and gone tomorrow. (I’ve been a tourist before, too, but I try not to tell anyone.) When someone is on holiday, often the last thing on their mind is what impact they are having on the local situation. Some of us diehard missionaries occasionally even question the whole concept of the tourist industry. And then it happened—God used a tourist.
After having to spend two months last year cleaning up the muddy mess from three floods, we were eager to get back to business. Jack, my translator, and I worked hard to finish up a set of Bible studies for the Thailand Adventist Mission. Our goal was to have them off the press by New Years in time for the Triennial session in January. As we got ready to do the artwork, my nephew, who is helping us with our art needs, decided to go home for a few months. A deadline loomed, and we had no art for our lessons. When facing difficult situations in the past, we have learned that God is the best source of assistance. He is our ever-present help in time of trouble. We began to pray in earnest, but nothing happened. Just a few weeks before the deadline, we were frantic.
Nineteen-year-old Samantha Mott was touring through Thailand and happened to visit the Chiangmai Seventh-day Adventist Church one Sabbath morning. (There is a whole story behind that word “happened.”) Duang, Mishala, and the kids also happened to attend there instead of going to Chiangmai Academy. I was gone for the weekend visiting Mien villages in Nan. Samantha found Mishala in the crowd, and they made friends. She came and stayed with Mishala. In the process, we learned that she was an artist. An artist! What a coincidence. We explained our situation to Samantha, and she happily agreed to stay three weeks and do our artwork for us. She finished just a day or two before our deadline with the press. Praise God! (As you continue to walk by faith, you may have noticed that God often waits until the last possible moment to answer our prayers. Wait patiently for Him. His timing is best.)
So God can use tourists. But can He use Filipinos in Thailand? I don’t remember the context, but several years ago, I overhead someone here bemoaning the influx of Filipino Adventists into Thailand. The comments were bigoted and inappropriate, especially in a church setting. As I listened, I reflected that it would probably be hard for God to use a Filipino in Thailand because of the racial barriers. Then it happened—God did use a Filipino.
Early last year, I got an e-mail from Jhun Cardeinte saying that he was on his way to Chiangmai to join me in working with the Mien people. I was a little taken aback and not really sure what to do, and then I remembered I’d been praying for help. Maybe this was God’s answer. But a Filipino? How could he overcome Thai prejudice? Now, after more than a year of working with Jhun, I think I can comment a little better on his ministry. Jhun is one of the most hardworking and committed Christians I have ever met. It is an honor to work with him. We have had a family recently give up the spirits partly because of his dedication. The members are also becoming more active in their faith and participating more in church. The youth are strong and more united. When you read about our successes in Chiangrai or in the Mien work in general, remember that Jhun is on the team and is an important contributor toward our success.
Prejudice is a nasty beast that insinuates itself into lives and destroys peace, harmony, and Christian effectiveness wherever it is found. As the world falls apart around us and people think more and more in terms of “us vs. them,” let’s be different. Let’s let Jesus change us from the inside out and help us look for the good in others rather than getting bogged down in the mire of stereotyping.
I am learning that God is not limited by lack of ability or resources. He is not limited by what some consider social, racial, or circumstantial handicaps. He is limited more by attitude. With a willing attitude, even a tourist can be useful to God. And don’t tell anybody, but I have proof that He can even use a Filipino in Thailand! More humbling still, He can even use me. He can use you, too. Just let Him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi i am Genny i think kaila ka nako musta namo ni Medz....Do you like me to enhance your blog's look?

Sulad Jhun Cardeinte said...

sure!....Gen, I badly needing anyone to help me out shape my blog site.....You know I'm beginners....please help me....